Saturday, September 21, 2013

Introducing... Leedra from "Heirloom Goods"



Leedra and I have been internet friends for a few years now. She is a wonderful, talented knitter and pattern designer. She also has many other talents, including photography and stained glass!
Be sure to check out her websites (links after the interview).






1. What part of the country are you from and how long have you lived there?
I was born in the Clarkston, GA area, and lived there until I was 18.  At that time I moved to Knoxville, Tennessee, and have lived in East Tennessee the last 42 years.

2. Do you have a favorite place in your house to knit?
Weather permitting, out on the screen porch.  Otherwise, currently in the living room, but we are about to begin an addition that will be a large room.  This room will be large enough to have a sitting area, my large desk (which is where I design), and a needle felting area.  There will also be a 8 x 10 closet for my yarn and needle felting supplies storage.
 
3. Seriously - how much yarn do you have in storage right now?
This may be a low estimation, but I would say 400 skeins.
 
4. How long have you been knitting?  How did you learn?
I attended formal knitting and crochet lessons 44 years ago, but knitting was an occasional craft for me until 2009.  I just knew very basic knitting and purling, maybe even crocheted more than knitted, until 18 years ago when I completely stopped crocheting.  In 2009 I had some more formal knit training and became obsessive about knitting at that time.  Almost immediately I began tweaking just about everything I knitted and then started designing.  I released my first pattern in 2011.  I currently have 11 designs available, with the 12th to release in early October 2013. 
 
5. What are your favorite things to knit?
I have two favorites and they are totally opposite from each other.  I love felted items that I can add my 'One of a Kind' creations to the felted item.  The 2nd is lace and more lace, but with fingering weight yarn.
 
6. What have you never tried knitting before but would like to?
Lace knit with lace weight yarn.

Tell us 5 quick facts about yourself -
1.  Christian wife, mother and Granny.
2.  Breast cancer survivor.
3.  A nature photographer, with flowers and butterflies being my true specialty.
4.  Stained glass artist, that has not made stained glass in 5 years.
5.  In 2011, I retired as a supervisor from the telecommunications industry after 40 years.


Leedra, thank you so much for letting us into your life so we can get to know you a little better!

Please take the time to visit Leedra at all her different sites and check out her original patterns that she has for sale. 
Heirloom Goods
Photography by Leedra
Ravelry Store
and on a more personal note - Leedra's Photos for Fun

A while back I knitted the child's dress she designed. It worked up real nice! The pattern was clear and easy to follow. This is the only pattern I have tried by Leedra but I can recommend it! There are a couple of others I would like to try and well as making another of these cute dresses!



4 comments:

  1. Great interview....I met Leedra totally by accident at a yarn shop in East Tn a few days ago. I think she was as surprised as I was to meet. Love her shawl Scottsdale Faroese Shawl..I want to make it. What a nice and interesting person. 400 skeins, and I thought I had a lot - LOL
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to make the dress!
    M&M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to interview me, I feel very privileged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely dress. I've knitted a couple of Leedra's patterns and, as you have said, the instructions are very easy and clear to follow. The end results make me look like a really accomplished knitter, which I am NOT!

    ReplyDelete