Thursday, February 6, 2014

Two-Way Boot Cuffs Pattern

This is my first time attempting to write out a formal pattern so if you have any questions just ask in the comments or email me - forevereading at gmail dot com.

I made these different on the top and bottom so you get a different look depending on which way you put them on. I also used variegated yarn so it would have the same effect. You can use a solid color if you want. But I like the look of having 2 different boot cuffs in one!

These are pictures with the smaller rib side up (you can see the cable pattern)-


 These are pics with the longer rib side up (the cable is hidden so it looks like it is just ribbed)-


 Also notice the color difference because I used a variegated yarn.

Pattern -

Two-Way Boot Cuffs (by Kneed 2 Knit)

Yarn - a heavier worsted or a light bulky (I used a fluffy worsted) - aprox. 150 - 200 yds depending on how long you make them.
Needles - Size 6 double pt. or use the long circular method like I did.

Cast on (loosely) 64
(for a bigger leg - 72, for a smaller leg - 56) and join to knit in the round.

Knit a 2X2 rib (knit 2, purl 2) for 5 rows.

1. - Knit in a 4X4 rib (K4, P4) for 5 rows.

2. - Do a 2X2 cable (place 2 stitches on a cable needle and hold to the back, knit 2 from the left needle, then knit the 2 from the cable needle), P4, 2X2 cable stitch, P4 all the way around.

Repeat these two sections until you have 4 sections of the 4X4 rib and 3 rows of the 2X2 cable. THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE EXACT! You can add more if you want them a little longer.

Knit a 2X2 rib for 15 rows.

Bind off loosely and weave in tails.

You now have one side with a short rib and one side with a longer rib for a different look depending on which way you wear them.


5 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute! Love the boots too. Are they yours or Ashley's ?
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi--found your pattern on Ravelry. What a fantastic idea to do 2 different stitch patterns and flip them over when you want. How big around are the ones you made by casting on 64 sts? (I love that your mom comments on your blog. Mine does too!) -Tess

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to make these for a small 5 year old girl. Will the 56 co do the trick or should I do 48 or 40?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I have no idea.
      Prob the 56 would be a little big.
      I would try it smaller, do a couple rounds and see what it looks like.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I'll wing it.

      Delete